Welcome to Kootenai County Fire & Rescue Local 2856! We are the exclusive bargaining representative for all full-time uniformed fire personnel (as defined in Idaho Code 44-1801) employed by Kootenai County Fire & Rescue.
The objectives of our organization are to encourage, foster, and promote:
- Our union philosophy. We, the members of IAFF Local 2856, desire a relationship with Kootenai County Fire & Rescue Administration based on honesty and trust. We understand that we serve the public, and with that trust, we will endeavor to provide the best possible service, without reservation. Conversely, we understand that we must survive as individuals and families, so we expect that Administration will endeavor to that end without reservation, to the extent the budget allows.
- Organization to all Fire Fighters through locals in affiliation with the International Association of Fire Fighters, the Professional Fire Fighters of Idaho, and the Idaho State AFL-CIO.
- Legislation affecting Fire Fighters such as pension and civil service progress, measures pertaining to health, welfare, and safety, collective bargaining and arbitration respecting hours, wages, and working conditions.
- Cultivation of fellowship among all members.
- Improvements in fire fighting and fire prevention methods through education, instruction, and research.
We have a deep union history, dating back to 1951, when Kootenai County Rural partnered with the Coeur d’ Alene Firefighters IAFF Local 710. On October 29th, 1981, Kootenai County Fire Protective Dist. No. 1, Local 2856 was established with the IAFF, to separate with the jurisdictional boundaries of each Fire Department. Just to the West, Post Falls Firefighters, Local 4022 became a chartered local with the IAFF On April 4th, 2000. Kootenai County Fire Protection District No. 1 and Post Falls Fire District consolidated on October 1st, 2001, and our locals merged to become Kootenai County Fire & Rescue, IAFF Local 2856.
We currently represent 56 members of Kootenai County Fire & Rescue and are very proud of our involvement within the community that we serve. We are very active with the Muscular Dystrophy Association including Fill the Boot and MDA’s annual summer camp, providing our Honor Guard to various community events, annually providing first aid at the American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life event, sending members to Burn Camp, and staying active in local politics.
Page Last Updated: Nov 27, 2017 (15:02:17)